- e-ND PL Combo: with regular PL mounting adapter
- Fits with TERRA with KineMOUNT
- PL Mounting adapter with Built-in Electronic ND (e-ND)
- High-precision hybrid of liquid crystal material, optics and electronic technology
- Wide range from 0.6 to 3.3 (2 stops to 10 stops)
- Consistent color accuracy and sharpness
- More compact and lightweight
Kinefinity PL adapter II Combo
Electronic ND (Electronic Neutral Density Filter) is based on modern liquid crystal materials and optics controlled electronically, which is completely unlike conventional technology such as a rotating filter wheel or polarising ND Filters. The e-ND on TERRA brings sharp images with color fidelity but without any drawbacks of traditional variable ND.
Compared to traditional optical glasses, electronic ND (Electronic Neutral Filter) gains a lot of advantages: eliminating the ND filters at the front of lenses; adjust the exposure seamlessly over a very wide range; keep TERRA and your gear into a more compact and lightweight set when ND needed. The e-ND developed by Kinefinity also is available on EF Type.
Color Accuracy over Whole Range
More importantly, TERRA can sense the e-ND and calibrate it over potential minor color shift automatically, as soon as the mounting adapter with e-ND being attached to TERRA. Then no matter monitoring or recorded footages, TERRA can always maintain color accuracy over the whole tuning range from 0.6 to 3.0.
For optical ND or other glass ND, the camera cannot detect or get any information from ND glass, and there is no way for the camera to calibrate color shift that ND introduces. However, for mounting adapter with e-ND, TERRA can detect the e-ND automatically, and get the status of e-ND on every slight adjustment operation on e-ND, and then calibrate any potential minor color shift based on the data received. Don’t worry about the color effect when using e-ND on TERRA, let cinematographers focus on shooting.
Continuous Adjustment over Range of 0.6~3.0
E-ND developed by Kinefinity is built on a high-precision hybrid of liquid crystal material, optics, and electronic control system. It covers such wide range from 0.6 to 3.3 (2 stops to 10 stops), you can use the single e-ND for shooting even in Polar areas. Smoothly and seamlessly changing the filter density is realized by the wheel on TERRA and internal firmware, no need any extra power supply or mechanical devices.
Compared to optical glasses like NiSi cine IRND filters, it needs 0.6(2 stops), 0.9(3 stops), 1.2(2 stops), 1.5(5 stops), 1.8(6 stops), 2.1(7 stops), 2.4(8 stops), 2.7(9 stops), 3.0(10 stops), total nine glass filters. The cost and storage cost would be fairly high. Of course, you may need to add multiple glasses to get more stops.
Seamless adjustment brings a very important feature: accurate exposure stop, this is what traditional glass ND filters don’t have, and TERRA could get best dynamic range, depth of field while remaining ISO, shutter speed and lens iris unchanged.
It takes much less time to trial and error to get the right exposure because of no need to replace optical glasses manually piece by piece.
- For mounting adapter with e-ND, it cannot be set to Clear, so you need to have a regular mounting adapter for low-light conditions or in-door case.
- For mounting adapter with e-ND, when shooting on some very special liquid crystal materials, the image may show some inevitable color shift;
- For PL mounting adapter w/ e-ND, the distance/depth from PL flange to e-ND glass is 30.5mm, which works with nearly all PL lenses, except some special lenses with a very long back end, like Angénieux Optimo 16-42 mm and 30-80 mm. For Regular PL mounting adapter, the depth is up to 40.5mm, then it works with the entire inventory of existing PL lenses, like Angénieux Optimo 16-42 mm and 30-80 mm;
- The surface of e-ND is AR-coated glass. You could clean it with much care. Any glass damage or scratches are out of warranty.
- 1 x Kinefinity PL adapter II Combo